So you have in your possession a 1900 silver dollar and maybe did not even know you had something that could be somewhat special until someone told you so or you did a little research on the internet. So what’s the deal? Is it actually worth something? Will you be the next person to get rich based on something old they found hidden in an attic somewhere? Well, this can depend on some factors that we will take a look at in this article and hopefully can give you a better idea of what your coin is worth in the process.
In order to fully understand the value of your 1900 silver dollar, you are going to need to do a throughout evaluation of your coin which will in the end go a long way to letting you know if it has significant value or not.
- First and foremost, what is the country of origin on your 1900 silver dollar? We are under the assumption it is U.S. currency and if it is, you have in your possession what we call a Morgan Dollar.
- Next we need to determine what kind of condition the 1900 silver dollar is in. Is it scratched? Has it been dented maybe? Since it is also over a hundred years old it is possible that a chunk of it has been taken out in some way.
- Just like a baseball card, for instance, a coin is most valuable the less its integrity is compromised. A simple way to check how good or how bad condition your coin is in is by focusing on the back of the coin and, more specifically, under the eagle’s feathers. What you are looking for is a small letter, do you see one? If you see one, is it the letter O? If you do not see a letter or if the letter O is there we are sorry to say, but that 1900 silver dollar is worth no more than $20.
All of these examples mentioned are just things that would diminish the value of your coin. Let’s look at it from a more positive perspective.
- If, for some reason, your silver dollar has been kept in miraculous conditions, meaning no scratches, dents, or anything in other words it still has its original luster, then it can be worth up to $50,000.
- We cannot reiterate enough, though, this is when it has been kept in absolutely pristine conditions over the last 100 plus years.
- Another characteristic that will give your coin immediate value is if by chance it has the letter S under the eagle’s feathers. In this case it could be potentially worth up to $2,000.
So while your 1900 silver dollar could definitely be worth some money, the specific amount is large tied to a multitude of information pertaining to that single coin. We recommend bringing your 1900 silver dollar to a friend you know who is a collector or a store owner you trust so they can assess its value. Be aware though if a store owner offers you a relatively large sum of money for your coin it is likely it is worth a lot more so do a bit more research before selling.